Skip Navigation LinksCLS-Trainee-Microbiologist

laboratory field services

Clinical Microbiologist Scientist Trainee License

Thank you for your interest in the California Clinical Microbiologist Scientist Trainee license. Laboratory Field Services (LFS) requires applicants to submit documentation of academic coursework to qualify for licensure. 

Work experience in California as an unlicensed laboratory staff person will not be accepted as qualification toward any clinical laboratory license.  Please note that biotech/pharmaceutical, forensic, academic, veterinary, research, and student laboratory experience cannot count as work experience or training for any clinical license.


Scope of practice

This license:


Academic requirements

Bachelor’s degree (baccalaureate) in microbiology or equivalent major.

  • Official transcripts must verify the completion of 25 semester or equivalent quarter units of microbiology courses, which must include medical microbiology.

  • Examples of microbiology courses include, but are not limited to, parasitology, virology, mycology, mycobacteriology, serology, molecular techniques, immunology, and basic microbiology.

Non-US transcripts

All non-U.S. transcripts must be evaluated by "Current Members" of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) or "Endorsed Members" of the Association of International Credential Evaluators, Inc. (AICE). This allows LFS to determine if your education is equivalent to a U.S. college or university education. Official transcript from the university  is required in addition to the evaluation. The evaluation service will send an evaluation of your educational institution and academic courses directly to LFS.


To obtain an application, instructions, and information, visit them on the web:

If you are an applicant whose education and training/experience is from a non-U.S. school, college, university, or clinical laboratory, please make sure that your name is printed in English on all your transcripts and supporting documents and that it matches your name on the application.



Helpful links

CLS Training Programs (PDF)*

LFS Approved Certification Examinations

*If you are having difficulty accessing this document, please contact LFS at [email protected] to request this information in an alternate format.

Statutes and regulations

California Business and Professions Code, Clinical Laboratory Technology, Licensing

California Code of Regulations, Title 17, Section 1031, Clinical Laboratory Specialists


The requirements listed may not be comprehensive.


How to Apply

Visit the LFS online application website to create an account and submit an application.

Apply Online  *You will need to pay your application fee online.

Note: Transcripts must be original documents bearing the school, college, or university registrar’s seal, and must be sent directly to LFS from the office of the college or university registrar. Request to have your transcripts mailed to:

Laboratory Field Services - CLS Trainee Program

850 Marina Bay Parkway, Bldg. P 1st Floor

Richmond, CA 94804

*Incomplete application packages may be abandoned. All applicants whose applications have been abandoned who wish to re-apply must pay a new non-refundable application fee.


Documents you may need for your application

  • Official transcript showing your baccalaureate degree.

  • NACES or AICE course-by-course evaluation.


For additional information you may contact [email protected].

Page Last Updated :
天齐网p3开机号 贵州捉鸡麻将下载安 贵州快3开奖查询结 长江润发股票行情 11选五5江苏 大类配资 煤炭股票推荐 安徽快三今天开奖查询 如何开通股票融资费用 浙江11选5一定牛 恒瑞行配资 网络投资理财平台归哪个部门监管 湖北快三一定牛遗漏 基金配资多少倍 真人四人打麻将在线 智操盘 赖子山庄天津麻将